About Sulfites

Sulfites (also sulphites) are sulfur-containing compounds (typically Sulfur Dioxide - SO2) that are used as food preservatives. Winemakers use sulfites to keep wine from spoiling. However, all wines (even those that have not had sulfites added by the winemaker) contain small amounts of sulfites, which are produced naturally by yeast during fermentation.

Moussamoussettes (Vin Rosé Delicatement Perlant)

Tuesday, January 12, 2010


Moussamoussettes 
Vin Rosé Delicatement Perlant
Agnès et René Mosse, Anjou, France
Biodynamic
Contains Sulfites
Price: $22.0
0

Today I feel human again. It has been twelve days since my last entry. The reason you ask? A bad sinus infection and a heavy workload, I haven’t had a single sip of alcohol since New Year’s Eve. But I closed the year on a very good note, wine-wise--
I still can’t get those pink bubbles out of my head…

My mad search for n.s.a. sparkling wine in the days leading up 2010 led me to Astor Wines & Spirits in NoHo where I discovered this interesting little gem: Moussamoussettes Vin Rose Delicatement Perlant, a mysterious sparkling rosé from Agnès and René Mosse, a vineyard specializing in vins naturels (natural wines). For the record, I am not really sure what a “natural” wine is; in my mind “natural” could mean a host of things. What’s more, on this bottle you will find the label “Contains Sulfites.” I was dubious of this wine to say the least and wasn’t really all that excited about experimenting with my stomach on New Year’s Eve. However the helpful young gentleman assisting me assured me that the winemakers--I believe he called them “French hippies”--did not add any additional sulfites to their wine. Eh, so what the hell, I was very intrigued by the nondescript bottle and the cloudy pink liquid which resided within, so I figured I would purchase it, check out their website when I got home, and hope for the best.

With the help of my French translator, I began to sort through the information on their website and as best as I could tell, these guys don’t add any additional sulfites to their wine. So we did a little taste test. We popped off the top; there is no cork in this bad boy, and I poured four pink, foamy glasses. I was apprehensive as I lifted the glass of “hippie juice” to my lips and then…fun. It was very light, sweet but not too sweet, fruity, crispy, and delightful. And the best part? It didn’t make me completely ill after drinking it.

I have been craving a glass ever since and I hear that is hard to find, so I will definitely be making a trip back to Astor Wines to get more. And by the way, on Monday, February 22nd, the nice people at Astor will host a class called The Organic Revolution: Changing Tastes in the Wine World. Astor’s Andrew Fisher will preside, and I, for one, will be in attendance; you should come too! Like I say, I am no wine expert, just a girl with pretty good taste, so if you would like to find out more check out the winemaker Agnès et René Mosse. If you have tried this wine rate it below. I gave this wine a "6" for excellent, whatta you say?

Comments

No response to “Moussamoussettes (Vin Rosé Delicatement Perlant)”
Post a Comment | Post Comments (Atom)

Post a Comment