About Sulfites

Sulfites (also sulphites) are sulfur-containing compounds (typically Sulfur Dioxide - SO2) that are used as food preservatives. Winemakers use sulfites to keep wine from spoiling. However, all wines (even those that have not had sulfites added by the winemaker) contain small amounts of sulfites, which are produced naturally by yeast during fermentation.

Badger Mountain (Riesling 2008)

Sunday, December 27, 2009


Badger Mountain, Certified Organic Vineyard
NSA Organic, Riesling, 2008 Columbia Valley
Badger Mt., Inc., Kennewick, WA
No sulfites added
Price: $11.99

Last night after a thirteen hour drive from Michigan to New York City, we returned home to our small apartment. But we did not return home empty handed. While in Michigan I came across a small natural health food store with an entire section of n.s.a (no sulfite added) wine (a very rare occurrence). You can imagine my excitement. I am a wine lover that has been drinking the same two bottles of wine for over a year now. There in front of me sat over ten beautiful bottles that I had never tried before. I was so excited I wanted to buy three cases but after calming myself down and pondering my bank account, I bought four bottles.

We ordered sushi for dinner and cracked open the first bottle (Badger Mountain Riesling 2008) as soon as we returned home. I was so impatient i tossed the bottle in the freezer to cool it off (don't tell). The wine was sweet, fruity, dry and crisp. Now there are a lot of bad n.s.a. wines and s.a. (sulfite added) wines for that matter out there, I would say over the past year I have significantly lowered my standards in terms of the wine I am willing to drink, but this wine can hang with any good s.a. wine. It was delightful and paired extremely well with our sushi dinner. I am no wine expert, just a girl with pretty good taste, so if you would like to find out more about this wine, follow the link below for more details from the winemaker. And if you have tried this wine don't forget to rate it below. I gave it a "5" for great (see wine rating scale on right), whatta you say?

More Info Badger Mountain Riesling 2008

Comments

No response to “Badger Mountain (Riesling 2008)”
Post a Comment | Post Comments (Atom)

Post a Comment